Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Shortbread Cookies

I love shortbread. A lot. I have many fond holiday memories of boxes of Walkers Shortbread in those pretty plaid boxes. Instead of making sugar cookies this year, which Corey and I decided that, though delicious, just took far too much time, we decided to do this instead. It still uses cookie cutters and is still totally delicious. These are so easy.

Shortbread Cookies from Joy of Baking:

Makes about 20 cookies, depending on the size and shape of your cookie cutters

2 c. all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
½ c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

In a separate bowl whisk the flour with the salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract. Gently stir in the flour mixture just until incorporated. Flatten the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill the dough for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.



On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough into a ¼” thick circle. Cut into rounds or other shapes (like Star Wars characters!) using a lightly floured cookie cutter. Place on the prepared baking sheets and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until cookies are very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

So good! I love shortbread, but I think I love it even more now that I finally got to use my Star Wars cookie cutters. The first reaction I heard from a friend was “Is that a Yoda cookie?”Yes, yes it is. And he's delicious.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...