Sunday, December 19, 2010

Roasted Pumpkin Pie

I mentioned Mix Magazine in my last Thanksgiving dessert post and here it is again for the next one. I decided to do pie this year. Though last year rocked and I’m really proud of my desserts, pie definitely has a place at the table. Plus, when I saw this recipe, I really wanted to make a pie that involved roasting my own pumpkin. It’s so simple, but the flavor is just superb.

The original recipe uses a frozen pie shell, but I just don’t roll like that. So I cobbled together this recipe plus my first pumpkin pie plus my apple tart from Rosh Hashanah. The crust didn’t overbake or get too dark, even though I forgot to put foil around the edge at the beginning, like I usually do. This is a perfect holiday dessert or really, for any fall occasion.

Roasted Pumpkin Pie from Mix Magazine:

Makes a beautiful 9" pie


For the puree:
At least a 4 lb. pumpkin

For the pie:
Full recipe galette dough
1½ c. roasted pumpkin puree
1 c. buttermilk
3 large egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tb. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ c. granulated sugar
½ c. lightly packed brown sugar
Whipped cream, for serving




To make the puree, roast the pumpkin by cutting it in half and place it cut-side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. The original doesn’t have you scoop out the seeds first, but I think it’s easier to do it before roasting. Roast in a 400 degree oven until you can easily plunge a fork into the squash and twist it easily, about 1 to 1½ hours, depending on the size and thickness of the squash. Scrape out the roasted flesh and put in a food processor. Pulse a few times until it resembles a puree. Refrigerate the puree in an airtight container for up to two days or freeze for up to three months. My pumpkin was fairly large, so I had extra, which was put to good use. Oh no, extra pumpkin puree? Not a problem for me!

For the pie, make the galette dough (this can be done a couple of days ahead of time), and press into a pie dish. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, buttermilk, egg yolks and vanilla. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, salt, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and whisk to combine.



Pour into the pie dish and place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Continue baking until a knife inserted about 1 inch from the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. The pie can be made up to one day ahead, which I did. It’s much easier to deal with Thanksgiving when the pies are already done. Cool completely, cover with plastic and chill.

I am not exaggerating when I say that this is the best pie I have ever made. Ever. It was perfect in so many ways. Roasting your own pumpkin is so easy and the flavor really is just that much better. The crunchy galette dough was perfect with the sweetness of this pie and it looked beautiful. Though we did have a lot of dessert on Thanksgiving, this one has stolen my heart. I may never make a different pumpkin pie again. Okay, I might, but this one is really, really good!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...