Saturday, December 04, 2010

Apple Cranberry Chutney

I like to be adventurous on Thanksgiving, especially because of this blog. How else can I post new recipes if I make the same things over and over again? This repetitiveness is part of why this sad little blog goes through lulls while I'm deep in the study zone. No one really wants to read about my millionth take on nachos (although I haven't blogged about my amazing nachos yet...anyway...).

But! Thanksgiving! It's full of opportunities. My reader was chockablock full of suggestions and I was constantly starring, tagging, and searching for more and more ideas. I made this awesome cranberry sauce last year (and again this year), but I wanted to try something new.

That's when I stumbled upon this amazing chutney recipe. And it is amazing and you will have to try it. I didn't change a thing, which is fairly surprising if you know me.

Apple Cranberry Chutney from Simply Recipes:

Makes about 2 cups

2 c. apple, peeled and chopped
1 c. fresh cranberries
½ c. chopped onion
¼ c. cider vinegar
½ c. of brown sugar
1 Tb. orange zest
1 Tb. freshly grated ginger
1½ tsp. cinnamon
Small pinch of ground clove

Put all ingredients into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook for a few minutes more, to reduce any remaining liquid.



Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

This was seriously ridiculously delicious. Chutneys remind me of Thanksgiving because my mom used to always have this amazing pear one on the table every year. The sweet and sour combination pairs really well with the turkey and tastes great on its own. I knew I had made something special when my friend Adam told me about a week later that he had been dreaming of this chutney. That's a cooking win in my book!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...