Monday, August 02, 2010

Vegan Raspberry Ice Cream

Shortly before being gifted so many raspberries, I saw this recipe. David Lebovitz is one of my favorite food bloggers and I was super stoked to see an ice cream recipe, as ice cream is one of my favorite things to make. I thought of it again when I was coming down to my last pint of raspberries and though yes, this is the way to finish off that flat.

Through careful cobbling of his vegan strawberry ice cream with the Ben and Jerry's recipe for raspberry ice cream, I think I got something nice. I omitted the honey as the raspberries were so tart, the flavor really would've been lost. There's more sugar in mine than his because strawberries don't need it, but raspberries do.

Vegan Raspberry Ice Cream modified from Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream from David Lebovitz:

Makes 1 quart

1 large pint raspberries
¾ c. sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1½ c. rice milk
2 Tb. raspberry vodka

Mix raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.

Mash berry mixture using a potato mashed. Add rice milk and raspberry vodka (regular would also be fine, I just happened to have raspberry Stoli on hand) and mash until pureed. Generally when making ice cream, you don't add the liquor in until the end because it lowers the freezing temperature, but because this is dairy free, it needs the vodka to prevent it from getting too hard.



Chill thoroughly and then mix in an ice cream mixer for 22 minutes (or according to the manufacturer's instructions). Freeze for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight, and serve. I'll admit, though, that I couldn't wait and had some immediately after I turned off the machine.

This stuff is incredible! It's like creamy sorbet, but somehow not sherbet-y. The raspberries are super tart and they were just made for this. The addition of the raspberry vodka is perfect and it is still so soft, unlike many other vegan ice creams I've had. I've been mixing it with mango sorbet and I'll tell ya, it tastes like summer.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...