Friday, August 06, 2010

Garlic Success!

Remember back in October when I planted 30 garlic plants and I had a patch of ground in my backyard that looked kind of like a grave?


Yeah, this. Well, guess what? It went from this


to this






to this and finally...

to this!

Please forgive my dorky face and outfit. I had just come back from a run and decided to harvest all of the garlic while I was already in sweaty clothes. All 30 plants produced heads of garlic, some much smaller than others, but so far all delicious. They hung out in a woven basket and a cowboy hat on my backporch for a couple of weeks, then came inside to be cleaned (other than the ones I had already eaten), and are now back outside, hung up by fishing line because I didn't have any twine or string.

And they're all so good! I've marked off bunches that are likely seed garlic for the fall and the rest are going into my food. It's so satisfying going into your own backyard and grabbing garlic that you're going to cook with right then. I'm really pleased with how this all turned out and I couldn't have done it without my dad, who guided me the whole way. Thanks to his seed garlic and advice, I got 30 heads of garlic and next year I'll have 30 more!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...