Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Travel + Food: Berlin

So I've been to Berlin before (I know, I'm sooooo well traveled. Please say this in your head with a fake snobby voice or else I just sound like a jerk) and wasn't really sure what I was going to do this time around as the last time I was there was the end of October. The first night we were in town, Aaron, Becca, Becca's friend Cayleigh, and I headed off by ourselves into town (we were staying out by the airport) in search of dinner.



We left the S-Bahn at Frederichstrasse because we saw a bunch of restaurants by the river. We walked by and because Europe is awesome like this, all of their menus were out front for perusal. As an added benefit, Cayleigh is fluent in German, so no phrasebook diving for us. As it turned out, these places were spendy, so we turned the corner and saw Kartoffelkeller (there's an English version of the website, with a menu). I only know a few words in German and one of those words is kartoffel, which means potato. Obviously you can see my priorities when learning a new language. Seeing a restaurant with potato in the title, I was immediately intrigued. As the prices were not outrageous, we went in.



Oh. my. god. Seriously! A potato restaurant. They even have potato desserts. Becca got the Schiffbauer’s Potato Soup, which was phenomenal (sorry about the bad picture).



I had a large potato pancake with veggies and cheese. So, so good that even when I was full, I kept trying to eat it. Mmm.





Aaron and Becca split two entrees, Schnitzel for the Gentleman, which came with a ton of tasty sauerkraut and fried potatoes, and Bavarian potato dumplings filled with sauerkraut and smoked pork served with German knuckle of pork (this is the English translation from the website). Since I'm still not much of a red meat eater, I only snuck some of the fried potatoes, which were absolutely fantastic. Mmm...potatoes.

We went back on our last night as Aaron's folks hadn't been and things were a little less stellar for everyone else. My potato casserole, the Canada, was fantastic (no picture for this one though). It's a potato casserole with salmon, sour cream, dill, onion, and Gouda. So, so good. Again, I kept trying to eat more before I finally pushed it away.

The rest of Berlin was some pretty fantastic sushi, some eh falafel, more potato pancakes at a different place, a bit of ice cream and cake, and everyone else eating wurst. Nothing else really of note or with pictures. Ah well.

Up next: Czech Republic!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...