Thursday, March 17, 2011

Things I'm Loving Thursday: Mar. 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! I'm not even the least bit Irish, but isn't that part of the point of St. Paddy's? And it's almost spring and that puts everyone in a good mood.
Leprechaun Trap Cake: How cool is this cake? It's ridiculous, in the best way.

'Culture', a Magazine for Cheese  Lovers: Okay, so I know there are magazines for just about everything, but somehow this still surprised me. If you know me, you know how much I love cheese. I'd love to check out an issue of this.

Cruelty to Animals: This is a review of Mark Bittman's article on the pet/farm animal divide. Unlike many articles I have read about this, this one doesn't say "this is the right answer, that's the wrong one." Food politics are honestly really, really annoying to me. I feel like most people should make the choice that's right for them, based on their lifestyle and income level. It's complex and this is well worth a read.
 
Irish Potatoes for St. Patrick's Day: There are a lot of recipes that have been posted today for St. Paddy's day, but this one was one of my favorites. Mixing in pesto is so simple, but it's not something I thought of right away. Baked potatoes are fun and easy and any new way to play with a basic favorite is fine by me.

How Green is Your Fast Food?: I've cut back on fast food and generally hit up Burgerville when the mood strikes or some other local fast food type place (what? Burgerville is really tasty. Have you had their fresh strawberry smoothies that are only available in May/June. Yeah. Yeah.). Anyway, this list is really cool. It's easier to make choices when you have more information.

15 Best Food Charts: I posted the cupcake one last week, but I think #1 on the list is my favorite. I'm mostly posting this for my food and chart loving friend Kirsten. Also awesome? The one about sriracha. But that's because everything sriracha is awesome.
(recipe here)
Baked White Bean Dip with Rosemary and Parmesan: One the list of herbs I love, rosemary is very near the top. I have a distinct memory of watching a cooking show with my mom and brother and the chef battered chicken in polenta and then skewered it with a rosemary sprig. I also remember drooling. This caused a similar reaction.

And speaking of herbs I love, lavender is a recent addition. Last year I bookmarked this post in Serious Eats. If you're looking to get into lavender or just want more recipes, this is a good read.

I'm also loving: roasted veggies with tumeric; Little Big Burger opening a location near me; birthday dinners on the Ides of March; my new love for bread pudding; any birthday plan that involves seasoned chips from Holman's; sharing tacos; cheese sticks; leftovers that still rock three days later; honey in tea; unexpected kalamata olives.

What are you loving this week? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...