Friday, December 11, 2009

Peppermint Bark

So this is part of the baking extravaganza and I swear that at one point during the day not only did I participate, but there was baking. This one was just another to have gotten started early and was also directed by Corey. By directed, of course, I mean she did it all and I helped at the end.

I have always seen peppermint bark around and yet haven’t had much. Why oh why haven’t I been eating this all my life? It’s so delicious! And really simple. It just involves a double boiler, a baking pan, and room in your refrigerator. That’s pretty awesome.

Corey doubled the original recipe (here) so we could have a lot of peppermint bark to go around. Below is what they did as Corey isn’t here and I only watched her do it while working on other things.

Peppermint Bark from joyofbaking.com:

6 oz. semi sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 tsp. vegetable oil
6 oz. white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/3 - ½ c. crushed candy canes (Corey put ours into a resealable baggie and crushed them with a rolling pin. It worked really well. Do that.)

Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, smoothing out any wrinkles. We used a larger casserole dish for this, like the one I use for enchiladas and the like, as we had so much more. I’d recommend it if you’re going the double route.

Melt the semi sweet chocolate and 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a double boiler. Immediately pour the melted chocolate into the prepared pan and tilt the pan so the chocolate makes an even layer. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, or until the chocolate has set.

Then, melt the white chocolate and remaining 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a double boiler. Immediately pour the melted white chocolate over the dark chocolate and tilt the pan so the chocolate is in an even layer. I know this part was a little more tricky and a bit of it became more of a swirl than a layer, but for the most part, it looked great. Good job Corey! Sprinkle the crushed candy canes evenly over the white chocolate. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, or until the chocolate has set.



Remove the peppermint bark from the pan by lifting the edges of the aluminum foil. Peel back the foil and break the bark into small irregular pieces (like I could ever make regular shaped pieces anyway).

Super delicious and also super all gone as Aaron really loved this stuff. I must make this myself soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...