Monday, December 07, 2009

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

Tastespotting is such a dangerous website. I saw these cupcakes a bit back, just before Thanksgiving, and said “oh, hey, I should make these” and then I mentioned it to Aaron and then to another cupcake fanatic, so I had to do it. And I wish I should have done it sooner because oh my gosh. I didn’t want to use cake mix because that’s not my style. So I used this recipe that my fabulous friend Renai used for her recent cupcake adventure and added in the cookies.

The thing that I thought was really funny is that you have to break Oreos in half with frosting on both sides for the bottom of the cupcakes. I am usually great at not breaking them apart perfectly when I want to, so of course when I needed them to have frosting on both sides, I had all perfect breaks. It was kind of ridiculous. But if ridiculousness leads to deliciousness, I’m okay with it.

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes from Kittencal and howtoeatacupcake.net:

Makes 18 delicious cupcakes

30 Oreo cookies

For the cupcakes:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1½ c. sugar
2½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
½ c. shortening (very soft but not melted. I used Spectrum organic.)
¾ c. milk
1 Tb. vanilla
2 large eggs
1 c. crushed Oreos

For the frosting:
½ c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1¾ c. powdered sugar, sifted
Pinch of salt
1/3 c. whipping cream
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Remaining crushed Oreos

Heat oven to 350 degrees.



Line 18 cupcake cups with paper liners. Take nine of the Oreos and split them in half, attempting to have frosting on both sides. Place halves frosting side up in liners. Set pans aside.

Take twelve Oreos and crush them. I broke mine up into pieces, put them in a bowl, and crushed them with the back of a measuring cup. Make sure they aren’t totally ground up. There should be some distinguishable cookie pieces remaining. Set crumbs aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour with sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. Add in the shortening, milk, vanilla, and eggs. Add in one cup of the crushed Oreos. Beat on medium speed of an electric mixer scraping the bowl constantly until just blended. The batter will be very thick.



Pour into paper-lined regular size muffin tins filling under just three-quarters full. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the cupcakes test done (do not overbake as they will be dry). Seriously, don’t overbake. I had an issue with some of the cupcakes not being done at about 22 minutes, so I left them in and kept checking. They started to brown when I finally pulled them. So the outsides were a little crunchy, but the insides still very moist. Just watch it.

Immediately remove cupcakes from pans. Cool completely before frosting.



To make the frosting, mix together butter, powdered sugar, and a pinch of salt until creamy. Increase your mixer speed to high and beat until light and fluffy. Add whipping cream and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Fold in crushed Oreos.





Frost cupcakes. Break remaining nine Oreos in half and use as a garnish. Eat, eat, and eat. This frosting is so ridiculously and amazingly delicious, I had to put water in the bowl so I would stop eating it. These cupcakes are pretty much like eating Oreos. They look so pretty too. I will definitely be making these again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...