Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Brownies with Bailey's Ice Cream

As part of my pie free Thanksgiving, I decided that I would need to make two desserts. This is the second of those two. I love brownies. I think they are fantastic. Usually I just go with the regular Baker’s chocolate, but since this was a holiday, I used up the rest of the Ghirardelli I had left over from Amy’s birthday cake. And again, it was a holiday, so I needed some fancy ice cream to go with the brownies.

My guidelines for the ice cream, as always, come from my pals Ben and Jerry. They don’t have a recipe for Bailey’s ice cream, but do provide some ground rules for making ice cream with alcohol. It was of tremendous help to me.

Brownies and Bailey’s Ice Cream from Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate box and my brain:

Serves 6 with a ton of leftovers

For the brownies:
4 oz. baking chocolate
¾ c. unsalted butter
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour

For the ice cream:
2 eggs
¾ c. sugar
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. milk
2 Tb. Bailey’s Irish Cream

To make the brownies, heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking pan.

Microwave chocolate and butter in a large microwaveable bowl on high for two minutes or until butter is melted. This is the one-bowl method, so you can melt the butter and chocolate together in a double boiler if you don’t want to use/don’t have a microwave. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add flour and mix well. Spread into prepared pan.



Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (mine are usually closer to 35) or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. Cool in pan and then cut into squares to serve.



The ice cream is very easy and uses the same base I use for all my ice creams. Beat eggs in a bowl until fluffy, about two to three minutes. Whisk in sugar a little at a time and then for one minute more to fully incorporate. Whisk in cream and milk. Transfer to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions. Mine mixes for 25 minutes total. About two minutes before complete, add in Bailey’s. Transfer to freezer safe container and freeze for at least four hours. Overnight is preferable. Serve over brownies, seen here with the panna cotta.

Seriously so good. I may have to make a Bailey’s milkshake or the like sometime soon.

2 comments:

kerry said...

Please invite me to your grown-up house for the baileys milkshake. I am a grown-up. Then we can make jokes about that one song...

Becca said...

You are such a grown-up! You will definitely be invited!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...