Thursday, March 12, 2009

Spiced Shredded Chicken

I know, I know, I know. I’ve been quite absent lately. I was powering through Wicked so I would have totally re-read it by this past Tuesday when Aaron and I went to see the Broadway musical at Keller Auditorium (it was really, really awesome, btw). And then the hubby and I started working on our guest bedroom and clearing out the closet filled with boxes that have been sitting since we moved in (2006). And I’ve been getting my stuff together for grad school. Oh, and the DS is charged again, so I’ve been playing games. In other words, sorry I haven’t been posting! I’ve been meaning to and I have been cooking!

So, the other night I decided I wanted nachos for dinner. This isn’t uncommon. If you know me, you know I am rather obsessed with nachos. Aaron has even made the joke that when I die and they do an autopsy, I will be filled with nothing but nachos. Anyway, I decided to split the plate with Aaron instead of selfishly hoarding them all to myself, as I have done in the past. Aaron loves meat on his nachos, so I decided to make up some shredded chicken. I mostly made this up as I went along, but I did try to keep track of what I was doing so a) I could do it again and b) so I could post it. See how nice I am?

Here’s what I did:

1 medium chicken breast
1 small lime
A few tablespoons of spices (cumin, a random mix my friend left over here. You can also use chili powder, red pepper flakes, Mexican oregano, whatever else you usually like in your Mexican food)
3-4 oz. vegetable stock (chicken stock would’ve been even better, but I used what I had. I froze some of my stock into ice cubes just for occasions such as this. It’s perfect. You should try it.)
Olive oil

Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Coat chicken breast in spices. Cook chicken on both sides until browned, about 5 minutes each. Squeeze in ½ of the lime juice and add stock. Cover and cook through over medium-low heat, about 10 minutes.





Remove from pan and let cool. When you can handle the chicken, shred it and return it to the pan. Add remaining lime juice and adjust spices to taste. Serve with your favorite Mexican dish, like tostadas or tacos. Or, you know, nachos.

You can make this ahead of time and use it later the same day or the following day. It’s very, very tasty and versatile.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...