Sunday, March 22, 2009

Not a Breakfast Burrito

The more I cook, the more I want to. So when my husband said he was hungry the other night, I jumped up, ran downstairs and dug through the fridge to find something interesting to make. What I came up with was dubbed “Not a Breakfast Burrito” by my husband, but I think it was more like not a breakfast taco or tostada.

This is what I did:

About 2½ cups broccoli
¼ finely shredded cheddar cheese
2 corn tortillas
2 fully cooked mango sausages
¼ yellow onion, sliced and cut into half rings
2 small red potatoes
3 cloves garlic
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Sprinkle olive oil over both sides of tortillas and place on a cookie sheet. Heat in oven for about 5 minutes for each side. Add cheese and cook until cheese is melty. You can leave this in the oven to stay warm while everything else comes together. If you do this, add the cheese at the very end.

In a small saucepan, heat a small amount of olive oil, enough to coat bottom of pan, over medium heat. Add onion, sprinkle a bit more oil and reduce heat. The key to grilled onions is patience. To get nice, not crispy, onions, you need to give them time to cook. Don’t bother them. Just let them do their thing. It takes about 20 minutes for this.

Steam broccoli and whole potatoes. I have a really nice glass steamer I can stick in the microwave. Easy easy.

Meanwhile, chop sausages and mince garlic. When veggies are done, remove potatoes and chop. Heat olive oil in another small saucepan and add potatoes. Cook until outsides are crispy, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and sausages and cook until garlic is soft and sausages are warm.



Remove tortillas from oven. Add potato, sausage garlic mixture to the top and cover with broccoli. Garnish with grilled onions on top.



Because I use so much olive oil in my cooking, I got this handy little container at IKEA. It’s perfect for adding just the right amount of oil to the pan. It came with a twin (now holding my balsamic vinegar). It makes throwing together a vinaigrette a snap. I love this thing!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...