Thursday, March 05, 2009

Bolognese Pickled Onions

I love pickled onions. They’re on salads at McMenamin’s and I just adore it. When I got Marcella’s Italian Kitchen from my folks over Christmas and I saw this recipe in it, I was so excited. So over a month ago, I started it and daaaaang! So good. They perk up salads, they’re great in tacos, they’re awesome on sandwiches.

The only difference between the original recipe and mine is that I didn’t use small, white onions. Instead I use a similar weight of onion in sliced onion and I think it came out just fine.

Bolognese Pickled Onions from Marcella’s Italian Kitchen:

13 to 14 small, flat white onions, 1 to 1½ inches in diameter, about 6 oz.
1 quart water
2 Tb. salt (kosher)
Red-wine vinegar

Peel and wash onions. Slice if using a larger onion. Bring water to a boil and add the salt.



When the water returns to a boil, put in the onions. When the water begins to boil again - and make sure the heart is high enough so it doesn’t take too long - cook the onions from less than 1 minute, at most 50 seconds.

Drain the onions, pat them thoroughly dry with kitchen towels, and allow to cool completely.



Choose a glass jar with a tight closure. When the onions are cold, put them in the jar, adding enough vinegar to cover amply.





The onions are good within 48 hour of making, but they are even better after a month, when they are fully pickled. Mine are a little over a month old and they are awesome.



Here’s a salad I made earlier today with some delicious goat cheese, tomatoes, my croutons, and the pickled onions. I sprinkled it with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Perfect!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...