Friday, February 06, 2009

Red Chile and Cinnamon-Clove Honeys

These two recipes have been floating around in my head for a couple of weeks. They were simple enough for me to do in the midst of all my studying and since today is my “do not study” day (the test is tomorrow), I can post them.

I have only tasted the red chile honey on its own, but it is very good and I cannot wait to try it with cornbread or as a glaze. It’s supposed to be good with salmon. The cinnamon-clove honey is amazing! I had it in tea last night and it was so good! I’m excited to try it with some other things as well.

Red Chile Honey and Cinnamon-Clove Honey from Flavored Breads:

Makes about 1 cup of each

For the red chile-
2 tsp. chile molido (freshly ground pure chile powder)
1 tsp. chile caribe (red pepper flakes)
1 c. honey
Pinch of salt (I used kosher, as always)

For the cinnamon-clove-
1 c. honey
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground cloves



For the red chile honey, place the chile molido and chile caribe in a dry pan or skillet. Toast over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until the powder and flakes are fragrant, about 4 or 5 minutes. Do not let the chile burn, and beware of strong fumes, which may make your eyes water. (This didn’t happen to me, but it seems like it very easily could.)

Transfer to a saucepan and add the honey and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon. Turn off the heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Pour into a clean glass jar and refrigerate.



For the cinnamon-clove honey, place the honey, cinnamon, and cloves in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon. Turn off heat and let cool 10 minutes. Pour into a clean glass jar and refrigerate.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...