Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Saying Goodbye and a Bit of Hope

I'm sorry I haven't posted since the 10th. The next day I found out my cat, Chisum (as seen in this post), was very, very ill and last Tuesday, the 16th, Aaron and I had to say goodbye. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done.. I've said goodbye to pets before but this was the first time I had to make the choice. Posting about food didn't seem like a priority. I took the next day off from work and on Thursday doing a Things I Love post seemed wrong.
Aaron adopted Chisum during the summer of 2001 when he was 2 months old. We all moved down to Portland together at the end of May 2002 and have been a little family ever since. Even with the addition of Doser, our ridiculous dog that he was only really starting to not hate, Chisum has been a good friend and nighttime snuggler. I miss him every day, but it's slowly getting easier.
My tomatoes are starting to turn red. My basil plant has gone insane in the good way. The rosemary and oregano make my backyard smell so good. My gypsy pepper plant may actually put out another pepper and the jalapeƱo one is giving me presents. My mom, as a graduation gift, gave me lavender, rosemary, oregano/thyme, and sage plants. Things grow and change. The night we said goodbye I had a plate of nachos from Cha!Cha!Cha! and a veggie burger with goat cheese from Little Big Burger and we watched Role Models and tried not to feel so bad.

It's getting better. I'll be posting again soon because I still love food and still have my anniversary cupcakes to tell you about. And I grilled pizza for the first time! And I made mint chimichurri and a delicious salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Looking at my photos, I have a lot more to share.

With love,
Becca

1 comment:

Amy Marie said...

When I had to put Oliver down I cried for many many days after. I still miss him a lot, and he was only a part of my family for a couple years. Give yourself plenty of time to get over Chisum and remember that he's with you in many ways still.

Lots of love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...