Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Blueberry Lime Jam

Yesterday I posted about the rock my world peach lavender jam. At the same time, I made this one, which is also really, really amazing. The only caveat I'd add to this post is that trying to do two different kinds of jam at once is not a great idea, especially for a beginning canner like myself. There was a ton of stuff going on at once and though it all worked out, I wouldn't attempt it again, at least not yet. This jam, though, rocks. A lot. Get good blueberries and limes and you're good to go.

I followed the canning directions from the other canning book for this one to get a proper seal on the jars. This one makes me wish it were warm and summery again. Until then, I guess I'll just have to eat more jam.

Blueberry Lime Jam from Lip Smackin' Jams & Jellies:

Makes about 6 cups

4½ c. blueberries
6 c. sugar
2 Tb. lime juice
Grated zest of 2 large limes
3 3-oz pouches liquid pectin

Remove any stalks from the blueberries and rinse under cold water. Drain well and put in a saucepan. Crush the berries a bit with a masher. Stir in the sugar, lime juice, and zest. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Keep stirring to avoid burning. When the mix reaches a full boil, cook for 1 minute, and then stir in the pectin. Return it to a full boil for another minute.
Place in jars and process for 10 minutes, following the directions of your canning book and the advice I posted yesterday.

Keep in a cool, dry place.
I had a little extra than 4 jars, so I put some in a smaller jar in my fridge and thus got to enjoy it right away. It's tangy and fruity in a way that reminds me a bit of a summer cocktail, but is also perfect for your morning muffin or scone. When you've got a bunch of blueberries, I highly recommend this jam.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...