Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Waffles

Once, oh so long ago (okay not that long ago), I declared that the buttermilk pancake recipe on the back of my buttermilk powder was the best thing in pancakes and the only one I made. Yeah, and then my dear friend Alton Brown (and by dear friend I mean I adore his food nerdliness on a regular basis) had a show about pancakes and I was hooked. And, as it turns out, they make for terrific waffles as well!

“Instant” Pancake Mix and Waffles from Good Eats:

3 batches of pancakes…or waffles! (About 12 pancakes per batch.)

6 c. all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder
1 Tb. kosher salt
2 Tb. sugar
(Combine all of the ingredients in a lidded container. Shake to mix. Use the mix within 3 months.)
2 eggs, separated
2 c. buttermilk
4 Tb. melted butter
2 c. "Instant" Pancake Mix, recipe above

Turn on your waffle iron.



Whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter. Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together. Don't try to work all the lumps out. Normally, when doing pancakes, you add your fruit to the top after they’ve been placed on the griddle. This doesn’t work out as well for waffles, so I mixed in my fruit, which was dried cranberries and pomegranate seeds, right into the batch.





Pour in the batter. Don’t do what I did here, which is pour in far too much. Underestimate with waffles and you will be much happier. Let the iron do its thing. Pull the waffles when they are crisp at the edges. Serve with butter, jam, and maple syrup. Aaron got this jam at the Oregon Historical Society, where he volunteers, and it is amazing! I want to eat it on everything. Including more waffles.



Check out the original recipe here to see Alton’s fabulous tips on making pancakes with this stuff. I know I’ve said it before, but I think I may have found the perfect pancake/waffle recipe. I try to serve it to my friends whenever they come into town because pancakes and waffles are a good way to show your friends you love them. And it gives you an excuse to eat waffles!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...