Sunday, May 09, 2010

Fish Tacos

The problem with not writing up recipes after you make them is, of course, not really remembering what you did. So, as a result, you all get to read about my delicious fish tacos and hopefully I remember correctly what was done.

One of the thing I like most about cooking is making marinades. I think it has something to do with the way it can change the scope of a meal based on the herbs and spices you use. In this case, I used snapper because rock fishes make for great tacos. So does halibut, but snapper is much cheaper. As I know you all are very smart, I don’t have exact amounts for this recipe, but I know you can figure it out. I also know that traditionally, fish tacos are served with cabbage and white sauce, but I just didn’t feel like it this time. They are still quite fantastic.

Fish Tacos:

Serves 3-4

1 lb.–ish snapper or other rock fish
Herb vinegar
Olive oil
Fresh lemon juice
Fresh lime juice
Ground cumin
Cilantro
Mexican oregano
Flour
Panko
Eggs, beaten
Corn taco shells (hard or soft)
Whatever taco accoutrements you enjoy

Cut fish into strips, about 1” wide, on an angle. In a large container with a lid, add fish, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, ground cumin, cilantro, and Mexican oregano. Close and shake around. Refrigerate at least overnight. Shake it up every 12 hours or so. Mine marinated for about 2 days because other dinner plans came up. It was still good.






Heat oven to 400 degrees. Dredge fish through flour, then egg, then panko. Place fish on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle fish with additional olive oil. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, turn the fish over, and cook until done, another few minutes. Stuff into tacos. We had ours with pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and homemade guacamole and served with Mexican rice.

This makes a little or a lot, depending on how much fish you have, and I ended up also making fish nachos that same week, which was also delicious. It’s so easy and with summer coming up, you’re going to want these.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...