Friday, October 09, 2009

Oven-Roasted Tomatoes

I had a very special plan for these tomatoes that turned out to be not so special. More on that later. These on their own, however, are fantastic. I’ve been reading this food blog since I started blogging and I love, love, love her take on food. While she does have better access to things that I don’t (like mangoes), our takes on food are similar. It’s nice to see someone out there that loves good food as much as I do (you know, besides this lady. Oh, and her.)

I saw her oven-roasted tomato post forever and a day ago and stored it away in my noggin. As my not so special little project didn’t work out, I’ve been eating these by themselves (so tasty), in salads, on sandwiches, and anywhere I put goat cheese (so everywhere! Ha!). These are amazingly tasty and an awesome way to use up your bumper crop of tomatoes, especially if you know how to properly can things. The only thing I would change is the tomatoes I used or the time they were in. My grape tomatoes, for the most part, got a little crispy, but the romas were fine. And I do love a roma tomato.

Oven-roasted Tomatoes from 80 Breakfasts:

Ripe tomatoes, about 1-1.5 kilos (I had a somewhere under 1 kilo)
Olive oil for drizzling and for storing
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
2 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed





Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and brush with oil. Slice the tomatoes in half lengthways and place snugly side by side in the baking tray, seeded side up. Mine weren’t quite so snug as I didn’t have as many as the original recipe did. Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.



Bake for around 15 minutes or until you see the tomatoes sizzling and coloring, then lower the temperature to 300 degrees for another 1½ hours until they are a little shriveled but not completely dried out. Leave tomatoes to cool then transfer them to a clean/sterilized jar. Place the 2 garlic cloves in the jar and cover everything with olive oil. Store in the fridge.

A note from the original site states that she did not follow any approved procedures for sterilizing and canning. These are immediately refrigerated and consumed shortly after. They are not for long-term storage. But you won’t want them for long term storage. You will want to eat them immediately. I mean, look at how pretty they are. They are begging for some creative recipe. Or just to be eaten in general.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...