Thursday, October 13, 2011

Things I Love Thursday: Oct. 13, 2011

It's definitely fall, folks. When I walk to the bus stop in the morning, it is either dark and chilly or dark and chilly and rainy and I get muddy water on my tights. But! I also get to spend time drinking warm beverages and thinking about soup and buying new boots and clean tights. Fall is pretty rad.
Bake Two Pies in One: What says fall more than pie? This comes courtesy of Lisa, who likes to send me links to awesome food things. Have you ever had issues deciding what kind of pie you want? I know some people don't like pie (which is weird. Even if they are very good friends of mine.), but I think pie is wonderful. And people are picky, even if they like pie, so this could satisfy everyone. Or you could just make two half pies of the same pie and make one easier to give away. Everyone is happy! Well, except for those pie hating weirdos.

Big, Sweet Dreams: My sister-in-law is turning her food cart into a sit down place this month. Yeah! It's just that amazing. The article isn't lying either - she and Johanna might be the most manic people I know, but they are also some of the most lovely people I know. Please become their patrons because I know it's going to be amazing and I can't wait to see it!

Clever Halloween Cakes: Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. You get to dress up and eat candy and try to figure out what that dude is dressed up as (or if that's just his day to day wear). I can't remember the last time I went to a Halloween party with cake (tragic) but maybe one of the ones I hit this year will have a cake as awesome as one of these. Or these rad cupcakes.
(warning: there is currently some blurred out nudity on their main page)
The Fiddlehead Cookbook Turns 20: I am in love with the Fiddlehead Cookbook (see evidence here, here, here, and here and especially here, here, and here). Have you had North Douglas Chocolate cake? If you don't want to mess with my half recipe from the cupcakes, check out Renai's full post on it. Anyway, the book is 20 years old now! If you don't have, go get it. Seriously. You can learn about my hometown and fun new recipes.

More on Whiskey: Did you know barrels to age bourbon can only be used once? Well, now you do! Bourbon is my favorite version of whiskey and knowing more about your favorites is always a smart way to go.

Armed with Technology Tea Infuser: It is sold out right now, which is tragic. I have already asked them to notify me on restock. This is an item all robot  and tea lovers should have.

Why Do Sandwiches Taste Better When Someone Else Makes Them?: (scroll down to get to this question) There's actually an answer to that. Of course it comes from The New York Times. Where else would it come from? This answers the question of why, when I tell me friends how easy something is to make, they tell me they don't want to and I should do it instead. Now I get it. This won't stop me from sharing the love of cooking, but at least I understand now.
I'm also loving: drinking muddled cider while making caramel apples (how's THAT for fall?); jalapeƱos in meatballs; simple dinners; the first brussels sprouts of fall; surprisingly good happy hour food from Hobnob; steel cut oats with PB for breakfast; honey crisp apples forever and ever; sushi because man, Aaron loves it now and that's so great; chile honey + warm biscuits = heaven; breaking the Yom Kippur fast with risotto from Bread and Ink (still need to go there from brunch!); @alyankovic "SPOILER ALERT: Unrefrigerated milk goes bad quickly."; the smell of cardamom on my fingers.

What are you loving this week? Seriously, I want to know. Comment away.  

2 comments:

Chris Campbell said...

Let us know when you are going to go to Bread & Ink, and if you desire, we will join you! :)

Becca said...

I would desire that very much. Let's make it happen!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...