Monday, July 26, 2010

Cheddar Scallion Biscuits

A post? From me? You don't say!

So here's something you might already know: summer school is rough! I am almost on the other side, with a research proposal, a class weekend, and an exam to go. The research proposal is almost done, class is this weekend, and the exam is something we do with our classmates. I am starting to remember it's summer.

And what do I do? Post a recipe from when Portland was going through Juneuary. These biscuits were made to go with some awesome salmon chowder, which made sense because we had salmon and it was cold outside.

These biscuits come from Smitten Kitchen, which Kirsten turned me on to when we first started talking food. They are so good, dead easy, and you'll want to eat them with everything. I subbed out the blue cheese for cheddar as Aaron's not a big blue cheese fan. As she notes in the original recipe, it's a fine substitution. I loved it!

Cheddar Scallion Biscuits modified from Blue Cheese Scallion Drop Biscuits from Smitten Kitchen:

Makes 12 biscuits

2¼ c. all-purpose flour
2½ tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar
¾ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
6 Tb. cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1½ c. coarsely grated cheddar cheese
4 scallions, finely chopped
1 c. well-shaken buttermilk (I used 4 Tb. buttermilk powder)

Preheat oven to 450°F. Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, then blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. I did this whole portion in a food processor. It's faster and it still works. Stir in cheddar cheese and scallions. Add buttermilk and stir until just combined. If you use buttermilk powder, like I did, mix the powder in with the dry ingredients. Use the equivalent amount of water at this point for the buttermilk.



Drop dough in 12 equal mounds about 2 inches apart onto a greased large baking sheet. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 16 to 20 minutes. Mine were perfect at 16.

These are so incredibly flaky and delicious. I do love my regular biscuits, but man, these are good. They'd make for an awesome brunch item as well!

We had it with chowder, which was ridiculously thick as the picture above demonstrates. Although super thick chowder doesn't sound so great now, I promise you it was great in Juneuary. And those biscuits were a perfect partner.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...