Monday, September 07, 2009

Meatball Sub

Lately, Aaron has been doing the majority of the cooking around here. I love that we can both cook and I love the ideas he comes up with. A couple weeks ago or at least sometime between now and the August 19, the last time I posted (sad, I know), Aaron made meatball subs. No, Aaron made THE meatball sub. It was delicious and I barely had time to take a picture before I scarfed down the whole thing. If I had blogged about this sooner, like a normal person, the following recipe would be a bit more accurate. As it is though, Aaron tells me he can give a ballpark of what he did. So good luck and hopefully yours are as tasty as his!

Meatball Subs from Aaron’s mind:

Serves 2

½ loaf French bread
½ lb. ground turkey
1/3 lb. ground buffalo
2 tsp. oregano (maybe more)
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste
Possibly other seasonings, to taste
Enough fresh mozzarella to cover the meatballs
Marinara sauce



Mix together turkey, buffalo, egg, salt and pepper, and oregano (plus possible other seasonings) in a bowl and form into balls. Fry meatballs in a medium size pan over medium high heat until cooked through. Cut ½ loaf into two pieces and split open, but not all the way through. Ladle sauce into bottom of bread. Place meatballs in and ladle more sauce on top of them. Cover with mozzarella and bake in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

The combination of turkey and buffalo was fantastic. Both are leaner meats than beef and they play really well together. Aaron mixed them because traditional meatballs are a variety of meats and while I don’t eat most of those, this plays along those traditional lines. I’m also a huge oregano fan, and it works so well here. This is an easy meal and is perfect for midweek dinners. We had ours with mixed greens. I look forward to eating these again!

3 comments:

Renai said...

I have been craving meat SO much lately and seriously all I can think about are meatball subs and burgers. Now I blame you. I need to get some moose meat from my dad so I can make these! MMMMMMMMMmmmmeat!

Becca said...

OHMYGOSHMOOSEMEATMEATBALLS!

YUM!

These were seriously so good Renai. Sometimes you just need a bit of meat.

inaffets said...

oooh i get plenty of meat...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...