Sunday, April 19, 2009

Roasted Halibut with Aioli

I am awesome at blogging about food. Aaron and I made this dish on Wednesday and I’m just getting to it now. I actually have been fairly busy, my friend was in town, and the weather this weekend has been gorgeous! So yeah, no time for blogging. And laziness. That too.

The point though is that this halibut dish was AWESOME! I love halibut. Like love love love. I’m Alaskan, what can I say? The problem is that it is often prohibitively expensive. However, when doing some grocery shopping we noticed that halibut had dropped from $14-15/lb. to about $8-9/lb. Uhm, yeah! So we picked up a couple of hefty halibut steaks and searched for the best way to eat them. Aaron found this recipe and I was all onboard except for the sauce. It’s cheater aioli and regular aioli is so easy to make, I just decided to do that. You can check the aioli recipe I have mentally filed away here.

Roasted Halibut with Aioli (formally Garlic Sauce) from Gourmet via epicurious.com:

Serves 2

Halibut fillet or steak
Aioli (garlic, egg yolk, and olive oil)
Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper

We also used:
Lemon
5-6 garlic cloves, peeled
Olive oil
Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle.

Make aioli.



Put fish in an oiled shallow baking dish and sprinkle with teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Spread aioli over top of fish. Cut up lemon wedges and place in dish with fish. Pierce garlic cloves in dish and sprinkle with a bit more olive oil.
Bake, uncovered, until fish is just cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. The cook time will depend on how thick your fish is. The original recipe has them at 1½. Ours were quite a bit thicker and took about 15 minutes.



Serve with rice, cooked lemon wedges, roasted garlic, and fresh lemon wedges. We also had steamed broccoli. I also rocked out some quick bruschetta. This was so, so, so good! Aaron cooked this fish perfectly! My aioli rocked (duh) and it kept the halibut moist and flaky. I won’t give it all to the aioli. Aaron really did an amazing job with this. I was so impressed. The cooked lemon was perfect to spread over the fish and the bruschetta. It’s such a cool texture when it’s cooked. I wish I had more of this meal to eat now. Gaaah! Halibut!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...