Monday, April 20, 2009

Fiji Ginger Tea

It is very warm here in Portland, ladies and gents. It’s the late spring spurt before it rains a bunch and then we get summer. I’m loving it because it’s blue skies everywhere and everything looks beautiful. It also makes me overheated. This is why I am falling in love with my Polynesian cookbook. Where else but the South Pacific would I find dozens of delicious warm-weather recipes?

This drink is quite gingery and as a result, quite delicious. My friend Renai was in town this weekend and we got to share in our ginger love while hiding out indoors between outings and bike rides. It’s so easy to make and all of your ginger-loving friends will be all about it.

Fiji Ginger Tea from Sam Choy’s Polynesian Kitchen:

6 c. water
1½ c. brown or raw sugar
2½” piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and sliced (I just used a big hunk of ginger. Do it to your taste)





Combine water, sugar, and ginger in a pot. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain and serve hot or chilled.



I vote chilled. If you refrigerate it for several hours or overnight, the ginger flavor develops quite a bit and is very pronounced. The sugar, though, is almost overwhelming. We continually watered it down to get it to the right sugar level. When I do this next time I will cut the sugar just a bit and add some more water. The general flavor though is soooo good and so perfect for summer.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...