Wednesday, April 17, 2013

30 Before 30: Leek and Golden Potato Soup (#9)


Want to know something strange? The only potato leek soup recipe I could find in my cookbooks was from my Weight Watchers Cookbook (yeah, I know). Seriously? Since I had a leek and potato leek soup was going to happen, I did it. It is instances like this that make you really appreciate the Internet. Was it the worst soup ever? No. Was it super boring? Yup. This is an interesting part of my challenge – posting boring stuff and failures. I often just skip those until I either a) find a better way to do it or b) forget it ever happened.

I know that because this is Weight Watchers, they want you to buy the broth to insure that it is fat free and low sodium. Make your own. It's really easy and you can better control the salt that way. As for fat, there's usually not a lot in my chicken or veggie stocks, but I don't measure it because homemade tastes better than store bought every time and I don't care! Okay, moving on.

So here it is in case you feel like using this as a base for a better soup.

Leek and Golden Potato Soup via Weight Watchers Cookbook:

Makes 6 servings

4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
4 large leeks, about 2½ lb., white and pale-green parts only, cleaned and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
5 c. fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper

Combine the potatoes, leeks, onion, broth, and pepper in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 22-25 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.

Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree, working in batches, if necessary, to prevent overflow.

Eat it and like the biscuits you made more. Add more salt and pepper and still find it incredibly boring. Adding herbs of any kind would vastly improve this dud of a soup. Or dairy, though it is pretty creamy on its own.

Good base. Boring soup. If you improve on it, let me know.

Recipes Complete: 9
Recipes to Go: 21

1 comment:

Carole said...

Hi, this was a nice post. I wondered if you would like to link it in to the new Food on Friday which is running right now over at Carole's Chatter. We are collecting recipes using carrots and/or leeks. This is the link . I hope you pop over to check it out. There are lots of great recipes already linked in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...